NRL 2 years ago

Aitken steals win for Dragons

  • Aitken steals win for Dragons

    SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 12: Euan Aitken of the Dragons celebrates with team mates after scoring an intercept try in extra time to win during the round 10 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Canberra Raiders on May 12, 2016 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

A wayward Jack Wighton pass has handed St George Illawarra a dramatic 16-12 golden-point NRL win over Canberra at Kogarah.

Canberra kept the ball alive after the siren on Thursday night in the first stanza of extra time and Wighton inexplicably threw the Steeden to Euan Aitken who raced 20m to claim the win.

At a darkened Jubilee Oval, which had one of its four light towers inoperable for the match due to a power outage in the area, Jarrod Croker became the Raiders' highest pointscorer over David Furner with his 1224th career point to lock up the scores at 12-12 just before fulltime.

You might also like

The Dragons led 6-0 at the break and, despite an error-ridden second half, the Raiders managed to stay in the contest.

Jordan Rapana scored the visitors' first try, and his eighth in four games, in the 56th minute after a quick pass-on from Elliot Whitehead.

The hosts looked to have wrapped up the match when a miracle pass from Jason Nightingale put Tim Lafai over.

But Croker's 77th-minute touchdown tied the scores up.

Canberra were the better team in the extra time period and an Aidan Sezer field-goal attempt hit the upright.

Soon after, Wighton passed and his former Country teammate Aitken took an intercept.

Canberra dominated early in the match and had a try denied to Joey Leilua in the eighth minute. After that, the Raiders struggled to control the ball and mount any pressure on the Dragons in one of their worst halves of football of the year.

Tyson Frizell broke through a disjointed Raiders line to score in the 17th minute and put the home side ahead 6-0. Those were the only points of the first stanza.

The main talking point of the first half came when Joel Thompson hit Blake Austin with a high shot and broke the nose of the Raiders' playmaker. Referee Ashley Klein declined to award a penalty claiming he didn't see the high tackle. Then, to the bemusement of Canberra, the bunker then declined to rule on what was obviously a reportable offence.

0 0
please wait...